This policy outlines criteria and processes for posting materials in designated locations including, but not limited to, designated campus bulletin boards,sidewalks, Brower Student Center digital signage, lawn signs, the Green Lawn Wall, and stanchions on campus. It also covers submissions to the weekly This Week @ TCNJ listserv email that goes to students every Monday during the semester. The process also provided for the documentation of violations and their referral to Student Conduct and Dispute Resolution Services and/or the appropriate Dean.
- Designated Campus Bulletin Boards are bulletin boards or areas for posting that have been allocated for use through the Posting Policy and identified with a Lion’s Gate Marker.
- Office of Student Involvement Staff includes any person employed by the Office of Student Involvement including all professional staff, graduate assistants, and office assistants.
- Campus Department Posting Areas are designated areas recognized and named by The College of New Jersey for posting by academic or administrate/service departments (not through the Posting Policy).
- Recognized Student Organization or RSO is a Student Organization at The College of New Jersey that is recognized or is petitioning for expansion or recognition by the College and one of the following entities: Student Government (Clubs & Organizations), Inter-Greek Council (Fraternity/Sorority life), or the Sports Club Council (club sports).
- A Third Party is any individual, group, or entity that is not a TCNJ Recognized Student Organization, a Campus Department, or entity contracted by or working directly with a Recognized Student Organization or Campus Department.
The Office of Student Involvement is charged with approving all materials to be posted on campus on Designated Campus Bulletin Boards, as well as for all banners, chalking, campus advertising, Brower Student Center digital signage, lawn signs, the Green Lawn Wall, etc. This policy does not apply to Campus Department Posting Areas (including Campus Department digital signage), which are controlled and monitored by the relevant Campus Department (in accord with the content guidelines under “Approval of Content” below).
APPROVAL OF CONTENT
The Office of Student Involvement will approve content that does not:
- Advertise or promote discounted alcohol sales or happy hours,
- Endanger the health or safety of an individual or group,
- Utilize sexually explicit or obscene material,
- Violate the New Jersey Criminal Statute on Harassment, which states communications may not be in “offensively coarse language, or any other manner likely to cause annoyance or alarm,” or
- Promote activity or content that would be a violation of the TCNJ Student Conduct Code, Title IX Policy, Student Organization Privileges and Responsibilities (all of these can be found at http://policies.tcnj.edu/browse/), or other College Policies.
Additionally, all materials must include the full name of the sponsor(s) written in English. Abbreviations of sponsor names are not acceptable.
- Materials will be reviewed during office hours, Monday to Friday, 8:30 am – 4:30 pm. All events must be submitted online through the Posting Request Form or in person to
- Once materials are approved, the primary contact will receive an email with a copy of the material digitally stamped as approved and a listing of all Designated Campus Bulletin Boards.
- If materials are denied, the point of contact will receive notification with a reason for the denial and will have the opportunity to edit materials and resubmit at a later date.
- Flyers intended for residential buildings will be distributed to the Department of Residential Education and Housing by the Office of Student Involvement to be hung on Designated Campus Bulletin Boards inside the residence halls.
- The Office of Student Involvement will discard all expired and any unapproved postings on Designated Campus Bulletin Boards every two weeks.
- Postings that are featured in This Week @ TCNJ will be included in the email the week the event is taking place unless otherwise noted.
Establishment of Posting Locations
- The Office of Student Involvement will engage with Campus Departments to determine appropriate posting locations on a bi-annual basis.
- Oversight of Bulletin Boards will be delineated between Campus Departments, Residential Education & House, and the Office of Student Involvement.
Who May Approve Materials for Posting, Banners, Chalking, etc.?
- Only members of the Office of Student Involvement may approve requests for banners, chalking, directional signage, posting on Designated Campus Bulletin Boards, etc. Departments and Student Organizations may need to work with other offices (ex: Brower Student Center, Academic Departments) to reserve actual space.
If materials are denied by the Office of Student Involvement, the student or organization that is requesting permission to post may appeal the denial to the Assistant Vice President for Student Engagement. Appeals must be in writing and must be made within three business days of denial. Appeals must directly address how the materials meet the criteria for posting under
‘Approval of Content.’ All decisions of the Assistant Vice President for Student Engagement must be returned within two business days and are final.
Procedure for Posting Flyers on Approved Bulletin Boards
- A list of Designated Campus Bulletin Boards across campus has been established by the Office of Student Involvement.
- All requests to post materials must be submitted through the Posting Policy Form or in person to the staff in the Office of Student Involvement. Note: In-person approvals will be limited to 30 flyers per request.
- RSOs and Campus Departments should indicate whether they want the flyers to hang in non-residential buildings only or in both residential and nonresidential buildings. All Third Party postings will be limited to nonresidential buildings. Only one approved item per event may be posted on any single bulletin board. Items may not be larger than 11″ x 17″. All requests will be reviewed within 1 business day.
- Approved materials will be digitally stamped indicating the item has been “Approved for Posting” and returned to the submitter.
- Material not approved will be returned to the submitter identifying why material was not approved.
- Student Organizations may utilize their printing allocations through the Student Finance Board to produce copies of their approved flyers.
- RSOs and Campus Departments may hang flyers on designated campus bulletin boards in non-residential buildings.
- RSOs and Campus Departments may bring 14 copies of their flyer to the Office of Student Involvement for distribution to the Residence Halls.
- Postings for Residence buildings will take approximately 3-5 days to be hung.
- All approvals will last for 30 days or until the advertised event has passed.
- Any expired or unapproved postings will be removed and discarded by the Office of Student Involvement staff.
- Postings made on any non-designated spaces (e.g. Community Advisor bulletin boards, bathroom stalls, windows, walls, pillars, street lamps, trees, etc.) will be removed and discarded.
- Violations of this policy will be referred to the Office of Student Conduct and Dispute Resolution Services and/or appropriate Academic Dean.
- A Third Party group should refer to the Third Party Posting section below.
This Week @ TCNJ
- All TCNJ sponsored events can be advertised on This Week at TCNJ.
- To be included in the Monday email newsletter, events should be submitted by the Thursday before your event is held.
- Promotional graphics should be submitted on the form as well as a description of your event
- To be featured on the This Week @ TCNJ Instagram you do not need to complete this form. Just tag @thisweekattcnj in your posts and we will reshare it.
Brower Student Center Banner Approval and Guidelines
- All banner requests must be submitted through the Posting Request Form to the staff in the Office of Student Involvement.
- The Office of Student Involvement has established 10 banner posting locations inside the Brower Student Center.
- Priority for Banner postings is given to RSOs.
- All Banner requests must be submitted at least 3 business days prior to hanging request reservation.
- All Banner material must be sized in a high resolution .jpg, .png, or .eps to print on a 3’ x 5’ banner.
- Language and information on banners must comply with the same content requirements required of all items approved by the Office of Student Involvement. See the “APPROVAL OF CONTENT” section above for more information.
- Permission to hang banners will be granted for seven days from Wednesday to Wednesday, on a first-come, first-served basis. Reservations may be made up to six weeks in advance of the first day you wish to hang your banner. Any non-use of a reserved space is a violation.
- Only one banner per student organization, office or department will be approved per event.
- RSOs, offices, or departments are eligible to reserve banner space up to four times per semester, including consecutive weeks, however, different bannersmust be used each week advertising different programs.
- Banners for RSOs will be printed and hung by the Office of Student Involvement for a fee of $10. Fees must be paid through a Student
Organization’s SFB account.
- Banners for campus departments will need to be printed at The College of New Jersey library on their banner printer in a 3’x5’ landscape sizing and then brought to the Office of Student Involvement.
- NO HOMEMADE BANNERS WILL BE PERMITTED.
- A Third Party is not eligible for this method of advertising.
Sidewalk Chalking Approval and Guidelines
- Requests to chalk sidewalks must be submitted through the Posting Request Form to the staff in the Office of Student Involvement.
- A limit of two sidewalk chalking requests will be permitted each week per recognized student organization or department.
- Locations will be assigned on a first-come, first-served basis. Each request will be allotted 3 locations per request.
- A copy of the language and or a sketch of any drawings that are to be chalked must be included with the submission.
- Language and information for sidewalk chalking must comply with the same content requirements required of all items approved by the Office of Student Involvement. See the “APPROVAL OF CONTENT” section above for more information.
- A staff member from the Office of Student Involvement will contact the individual submitting the Sidewalk Chalking Request Form to make them
aware of the availability of space.
- Only sidewalks approved on each form may be chalked.
- No structures other than approved sidewalks may be chalked, including steps and building exteriors.
- Only water soluble chalk may be used.
- A Third Party is not eligible for this method of advertising.
Digital signage will be made available for a nominal fee. To inquire about the usage policy and pricing structure, please contact the Brower Student Center at email@example.com.
Any other forms of Campus advertising must be submitted to the Office of Student Involvement for Approval. Methods of advertising not outlined in this policy are subject to approval by the Office of Student Involvement and will be subject to the same Approval of Content Criteria.
- Requests to utilize lawn signs must be submitted through the Posting Request Form to the staff in the Office of Student Involvement.
- A copy of the language and or a sketch of any drawings that are to be used on the lawn sign must be included with the submission.
- Language and information for lawn signs must comply with the same content requirements required of all items approved by the Office of Student Involvement. See the “APPROVAL OF CONTENT” section above for more information.
- The submitting organization is responsible for the product and fabrication of their own lawn signs.
- A staff member from the Office of Student Involvement will contact the individual submitting the Lawn Signs request to make them aware of the availability of space.
- A marked campus map will be sent to the submitting organization identifying locations approved for their Lawn Signs.
- The submitting organization is responsible for the proper deployment of their signs.
- Lawn signs will be approved for 7 days or until the day of an event.
- All Lawn signs must be removed by the organization and/or department upon expiration.
- A Third Party is not eligible for this method of advertising.
- Requests to utilize sticker advertisements must be submitted through the Posting Request Form to the staff in the Office of Student Involvement.
- A copy of the language and or a sketch of any drawings that are to be used on the sticker must be included with the submission.
- Language and information for stickers must comply with the same content requirements required of all items approved by the Office of Student Involvement. See the “APPROVAL OF CONTENT” section above for more information.
- The submitting organization is responsible for the production of their own stickers.
- Each organization is limited to two Library Cafe cup sleeves sticker campaigns per semester.
- Each campaign will last one week starting on Monday and ending on Sunday.
- Organizations can use up to 500 stickers per campaign
- Each sticker should not exceed an individual size of 4.5” x 2.75” or 2.5” in diameter if circular.
- The submitter is responsible for coordinating their plan to place stickers on sleeves with Sodexo/Dining Services.
Third Party Posting
- All Third Party postings will be subject to the same processes outlined in Procedure for Posting Flyers on Approved Bulletin Boards
- Third Party postings will be limited to display on bulletin boards located in nonresidential buildings.
- Chalking on classroom blackboards by Third Parties is strictly forbidden.
Violations of Posting Policy
- Materials posted in violation of the posting policy will be forwarded to the Office of Student Conduct and Dispute Resolution Services (for Designated Campus Bulletin Boards) or to the appropriate Academic Dean or department head (for Campus Department Posting Areas) with a description of the violation.
- Third Party posting violations will result in email or telephone notice to the third party. Repeated violations may result in loss of posting privileges.
- Third Parties that are TCNJ students are subject to standards outlined in The College of New Jersey Student Conduct Code
- Sanctions for violations may include a letter of warning, loss of posting privileges for a semester or year, restitution for damages, and/or other appropriate sanction according to the Student Conduct Code.
Materials to be posted must adhere to the College’s policy against Personal Abuse as cited in The College of New Jersey Student Conduct Code.